Wandel4daagse Het Gooi

Four beautiful routes have been set out for the four-day walking tour. They will take you through the Gooi, Eemland and the Vecht region. The routes always start and end in Laren. Nowadays mainly known for Gooische Vrouwen, expensive cars, fashion stores, seeing and being seen, but at the end of the 19th century the village mainly attracted artists.

Laren was discovered by Jozef Israels as a place with still 'unspoilt' spots. In his wake, other painters also came to Laren in search of picturesque locations. Anton Mauve was one of the first to buy a house on Naarderstraat. His paintings with Laren sheep are world famous and even now adorn the place name signs on all the roads in and out of the village.

Thanks to the construction of the Oosterspoorlijn (Amsterdam-Amersfoort) in 1874 and the Gooise Stoomtram in 1881, the Gooi became easier to reach and removed from its centuries-long isolation. In addition to artists, philosophers, writers and 'improvers' moved to Laren. The colony of Professor Van Rees on the border of Blaricum and Laren and Walden of the writer Frederik van Eeden are the best-known examples.

Hilversum, Netherlands
From June 14 to
June 17, 2023
4 days
Difficult Levels: Hard, Moderate
Landscape: Countryside
Stichting Wandelvierdaagse het Gooi


Wandel4daagse Het Gooi

The routes are laid out in a cloverleaf around Laren as much as possible. You start daily from the sports field of SV Laren '99 and return there at the end of the afternoon.

Day 1 Forest and Heideroute

Day 2 Country estates route

Day 3 Polder route

Day 4 Gooimeer route

Day 1 Forest and Heideroute

The walkers soon leave the village of Laren in the direction of Baarn. The walk goes over the terrain after about 4 km of the Amerpoort. (This is a living and working community for people with intellectual disabilities.)

The 10 km walkers now head towards the Laarder Wasmeer where all routes come together again.

The 20, 30 and 40 km walkers continue their way through the park and past the beautiful Castle Groeneveld which was built in 1710 by order of Marcus mamuchet.

The route now continues through the woods of Boswachterij de Vuursche, located between Baarn and Hilversum to the tea house 't Hooge Erf

The 20 km route continues after the tea house through the woods of Pijnenburg to restaurant Groot Kievitsdal.

The 30 and 40 km walkers continue their way through the woods of the Pijnenburg-Baarnse snip and Forestry de Vuursche to the Stulp, a heath area with fens located on the northern foothills of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug.

After the Stulp, the route goes along the fence of Drakensteyn Castle over the 300 Roedenlaan to the Low Fire.

After the Lage Vuursche it continues on the Kloosterlaan, through the Eyckensteinse Bos and via the Hilversums Wasmeer along the golf fields of Hilversum, where the 20 km rejoins the route.

Day 2 Country estates route

These walks go via the Westerheide over the nature bridge Zanderij Crailoo (with a length of 800m the longest ecoduct in the world.)  through the Spanderswoud to the 's-Gravelandse Buitenplaatsen.

The 10 km. walkers go after the Spanderswoud, through Zanderij Crailoo, over the Westerheide and the Engh back to Laren.

(Zanderij Crailoo is a sand extraction area from 1843, originally partly excavated for construction on the site of part of the Amsterdam - Amersfoort railway line. After that the site was further excavated until 1970. In recent years, it redecorated)

The 20, 30 and 40 km. walkers continue their way to the 's-Gravelandse . after the nature bridge Outdoor places. The 1st estate is Bantam. Soon the walkers arrive at the Schaep estate and Burgh where they walk through the landscaped garden and pass an ice cellar from the 17th century.

Bantam only came into existence in the 18th century. The then owner of Schaep en Burgh then received permission to also reclaim part of the Naarderveld. The hills and ponds of the past are still there. A landscape garden, also known as Little Switzerland, was created. Beech oak  venues, laid out by the well-known landscape gardener Zocher, are still there. Someday there must be on the highest hill stood a so-called Turkish tent in which people drank tea and had a view to on the Zuiderzee. The mansion was so dilapidated that it had to be demolished in 1971.

Schaep en Burgh country estate is stately and distinguished on the Noordereinde in 's-Graveland. From the mansion there are magnificent views over the park garden and pond. The imposing beech and oak avenues, the Capitol behind it mansion, the pond with the island and especially the main building with orangery and coach house give the outside real grandeur.

The walkers leave this via the Boekesteyn estate with the Gooi en Vechtstreek Visitor Center estates. The 20 and 30 km. route goes over the Noordereinde along the Theetuin Sperwershof, which is located on the eponymous estate.

There are still straight avenues and planters from the first Baroque period predisposition. The later Landscape style can be recognized in the
forest ponds and meadows with trees. 's mansion Boekesteyn is intact and is now rented out. Also the nearby farm Brambergen (from 1634) has the tooth withstand the times. Here you will find Visitor Center Gooi en
fighting zone.

Being in the old vegetable garden of the Sperwershof estate located two stores. A flower shop and a health food store. At the Tuinderij, special flowers and vegetables grown, these are in the shops sold.

The 40 km. walkers take a trip to Ankeveen after the Boekesteyn estate over the Stichtse Kade, once the border between the Dutch and Utrecht Ankeveen. Then through the Ankeveense puddles over the Dammerkade and the Bergse Pad, or via the Verlengde Bergse Pad after 10 km. back on to be closed on the route of the 20 and 30 km.

The walkers now arrive at the Spanderswoud estate after 1.5 km via a beautiful entrance gate. through to end up on a small bridge on the Hilverbeek estate.

Hilverbeek is a surprising country estate with its open meadows and dense forests. Natuurmonumenten got this outside already owned in 1933, which means that many old elements have been preserved stayed. There is the farm Stofbergen from the time of the first reclamation, built around 1636.

For the Farm stands a seven-armed, monumental lime tree and in the pasture a 350 year old Oak.

After the Stofbergen farm, leave the 20 km. walkers to explore the 's-Gravelandse Buitenplaatsen through the Spanderswoud, over the Westerheide and back to Laren through the Engh.

The 30 and 40 km. walkers continue their way through the 's-Gravelandse Buitenplaatsen and come via Schoonoord estate (Only the old beech avenue along the forest is accessible) on Jagtlust estate. (one of the smaller country estates in 's-Graveland approx. 9.5 ha big.)

History Jagtlust: Cornelis Tromp became owner in 1660 of a strip of land outside the 's-Gravelandse polder, the Trompenveld. On this site stood a small homestead with a house, called 'Big John'. In 1861 the country estate came into the hands of the Six family, who owned more country estates. In 1899 the architects Schil and Haverkamp renovated the monument to what it is now. In 2006, the Jagtlust estate was Natural monuments purchased.

Gooilust is the most southern part of the 's-Gravelandse Outdoor places. With 60 hectares. it is also the largest. The rhododendron valley, the vistas to Trompenburg and the star forest make this estate a wonderful walking area.

The 30 and 40 km. walkers now definitively leave the 's-Gravelandse Buitenplaatsen and return along the Gooise Vaart and through the Corversbos back into the Spanderswoud, where the 20 km. hikers back recover, and go over the Westerheide and back to Laren via the Engh.

Day 3 Polder route

On this route you will experience the beauty and breadth of the beautiful Eemnesser polder with its many meadow birds.

The current Eemnes was around the 12th century a swampy area on the mouth of the Eem, that usually under water was standing. During a storm surge in 1170 is there punched a hole in the peat ridge between  tavoren and Enkhuizen. As a result could get out of the water Central Netherlands flow away more easily to the Wadden Sea. It the result was that too the Eemmond it water level dropped. From that moment they started to the exploitation of the Eemnesse territory.

Around 1200 arose on the east bank of the Eem, where Eembrugge is now located, the village of Ter Eem, fortified with a castle. Started shortly after pioneers, who inhabited Ter Eem, to reclaim the swamp area west of the Eem, from a spit of land in the river bend of the Eem opposite Ter Eem. From this the name of our be declared to the municipality. "Nes" means headland on the inside bend of a river. a creek on the site of the current Gooiergracht, the unofficial border between the County of Holland and the diocese of Utrecht. In the 14th century, the Earl of Holland also showed an interest in the new country. round 1325 he had a border marked with poles on the place where now the Meentweg and the Wakkerendijk walk. This boundary was called 'reason' and it Eemnesser area west of the roadstead called the Count East Holland.

All routes go via the Postiljonheide, the Slingerpaadje, along the golf  course of the Goyer Golf & Country Club. Then about the ones that were specially opened for us on this day nursery Gooi- en Eemlust and the meadows of the Van Valkengoed family to go through the hall de Part to arrive at the Wakkerendijk.

All participants turn left towards Eemnes. Via a winding walking / cycling path one at the new residential area of ​​Zuidpolder, where many houses are still under construction. The route goes back to the Wakkerendijk via the ice rink and the willow path. Almost at the end of these, the walkers of the 10/20/30 km have the opportunity to take a trip to the HKE with an exhibition about 40 years of the Historical Circle Eemnes.

After the terrace at café Staal, you walk through the Kerkstraat with houses and farms, which mostly from the 17th and 18th centuries. Then along the ancient big (Reformed) church of Eemnes.

The tower is 49 meters high. This morning the church is open and the routes (except those of 40 km) walk through the church. More  information about Eemnes can be found at www.historischekringeemnes.nl

The 10 km walkers walk via De Bongerd at "Marian cooks fresh for you". At the shopping center de Minnehof is cozy music made by musicians from Egwel (by Anja Manders). The 10 km route goes back to Laren. Leaving the remaining distances the built-up area via the Meentweg. The 20 km route goes directly to blaricum. The 30 and 40 km walkers walk through the Eemnesser polder to (the summer dike of) river De Eem. Part of the Zomerdijk is unpaved. Here you can enjoy the many meadow birds and the view over the wind (these are holes that were created by dike breaches). We leave the beautiful surroundings of Eemnes and the polder.

After the summer dike, the 30 and 40 km continue. walkers make their way over the Goyergracht Noord (the provincial border between Noord-Holland and Utrecht). Just before the center of Blaricum is for all walkers (except the 10 km) at the handball association of Blaricum the rest post. A beautiful route through the streets of Blaricum follows.

Day 4 Gooimeer route

The Gooimeer route takes walkers to the Gooimeer with the exception of the 10 km to return to Laren via Huizen.

All routes go through the Engh, past the only mill of the Gooi that is still on the original site, then to the deer park, across the grounds of Theodotion nursing home, the Singer Museum and the Larenberg estate. The Larense mill is a flour mill. It's an octagon inside porter. The mill is said to have been built before 1932. The upper shaft is made of cast iron and manufactured by foundry De Prins of Orange in The Hague. This dates from 1868. The building to the right of the mill contained the later diesel engine. After several restorations, the mill turns on the wind again. The mill is on walking distance from the Historic Center and is almost  very Saturday free to visit.

This used to be the Larense garbage dump and later this one striking place transformed into a beautiful deer park where young and old can rest.

The Singer Museum is housed in a wing of the De . manor Wild Swans, built in 1911 by the American artist and art collector couple Singer. The Singer Museum includes also a concert hall and space for conferences, workshops and dinners. In the summer of 2017, after a considerable renovation opened a new concert hall.

Larenberg has more than 24 hectares of land, which in 1833 by the Amsterdam lawyer Cornelis Backer purchased. Backer transformed the wastelands into a estate with allure. The famous landscape architect J.D. Zocher Jr. was the likely architect of the mansion on the estate.

The Friends of Larenberg Estate has been established in 2010 and aims to raise awareness of the unique qualities of Larenberg. The Friends  Foundation supports the pursuit of responsible conservation for the longer term, and transfers this to the various (government) bodies that  influence the management of a historic estate.

We continue our way over the Blaricummerheide. The 40 km of walkers make a loop on this heath and go through the new nature bridge Laarderhoogt to the Bussumerheide. They then continue through Bussum-Zuid and the newly developed Gijzenveen nature reserve and from there to the Naardermeer. Over there the beautiful 3 km long Boot Path is followed, which can sometimes be a bit swampy.

Between Bussum (Het Spiegel) and the Hilversumse Meent is located a new nature and hiking area: the Gijzenveen

The Naardermeer is a protected nature reserve in the Gooi, located between Muiderberg, Naarden, Hilversumse Meent and Weesp. It is a lake area with reed, hay meadow and swamp forest.

It is home to many wetland plants and animals, including unique like cormorants. It was the first area that the association  atuurmonumenten after its foundation in 1906 bought to protect. The area is restricted for visitors; there are also organized walks and boat trips.

The 10 km. walkers now continue their way over the Tafelbergheide, past two loam pits (see information board at the pit), to restaurant De Tafelberg.

The 20 and 30 km. walkers continue their way through the forests of Bikbergen and split located there. The 20 km continues over the Vliegheide and Nieuw Bussumerheide to the Gooimeer.

The 30 km. Route goes via the Estates Oud Bussum and De Beek, to the fortified town of Naarden.

In 1570, the boards of Naarden and the Gooise villages donated it estate Oud Bussem to Paulus van Loo, the Bailiff of Gooiland. There was a farm on the estate, which was destroyed in 1672 during the siege of Naarden was burned by the French and rebuilt in the 18th century was by Michiel Hinloopen. In 1974 the farm burned again off. In the 18th century a country house was also built on the estate built by Abraham Scherenberg. That was demolished in 1929 and rebuilt by Pieter van Leeuwen Boomkamp. Architect was D.F. locksmith. In 2010, a Orangery built.

Landgoed De Beek has been state property since 1945, but is managed by the Goois Nature Reserve.

A park-like English landscape style. The estate is rich in water and offers breeding opportunities to the kingfisher.

Naarden is one of the best preserved fortified towns in Europe and especially famous for its unique star shape. The fortress has six bastions, a double wall and a double ring of canals. there is good walking on the fortifications. A boat trip around the works is also possible. The extensive, excellently restored fortress, most parts of which are left from the 17th century, is for the most part freely accessible.

Also here reach the 40 km. hikers the fortified town of Naarden. They go together with the 30 km. walkers through the fortress city and reach the old via the Utrechtse Poort center with the Grote of St. Vitus Church.

The 30 and 40 km reach across the Oostdijk. hikers the Gooimeer where the 20 km. on the road comes. The tour continues along the banks of the Gooimeer. On the Eukenberg (14.3 meters high), which is again included in the route, you have a beautiful view over the Randmeer and the skyline of Almere.

Via the old village of Huizen the route leads through the Huizer Eng to the Tafelbergheide with a beautiful view from two benches on the edge of the heath. At the end of the heath at restaurant De Tafelberg, all hikers come together and return to Laren together.

Via the center with the “De Coeswaerde”, the Brink, the R.K. Basilica and the many terraces, where it is good to stay and one can spot a celebrity,  hey return via the Laarder Engh back to the end point sports association SV Laren.

Although the Brink is now the center of the village, it used to be a place on the edge of the village. Here lay the Coeswaerde (derived from 'koewade'). This was a watering place where cows and sheep came to drink when they returned from the heath. On the The place of the Coeswaerde is now the pond

Hilversum, Netherlands